Ergonomics and Manpower the Engine of Growth
A Worker in One Firm is a Customer for another Firm. Healthy and Safe Workers implies a strengthening Consumer base.Just imagine what wonders it can do for the economy, when you broaden your view, think togetherness, as a Whole; not in isolated competitive groups, not in parts.
Ergonomics reduces Worker Stress. Helps in keeping good Mental and Physical Health. Safety is very important. His Limbs, Eyes and Ears are assets that a firm hires. On this page you can start learning these aspects. A good Manager knows that Manpower is the Foremost Asset of any Company.
- Product should not give even the lightest shock, Even metal parts on user side to be laminated.
- High energy circuits never enters analog and digital circuit areas without Opto or other Isolation.
- Gadgets, Furniture, Tools and Storage Units should not cause injury. Rounded Edges, Non Toxic.
- Helmet, Goggles and Face/Respiratory Mask when working with power tools/ abrasion and large objects.
- Crepe Bandage, Neoprene Ankle/Knee/Thigh Support when pushing or pulling or Physical Exertion.
- Waist/Back Support Belts and Straps to reinforce back/spine while doing Heavy Lifting or Movement.
- Waistband Thick Belt or Traditional Sash helps Posture and prevents slipped disc or spinal injury.
- When using a Knife, Sharp Tool, Pointed Tool or Drill; cut/bore away from your body or finger/leg not towards.
- Use Long Riding Leather/Synthetic Boots when working in chemical plants and heavy industry.
- Cross Ventilation and exhaust fans important if even little chemical fumes are generated in your work.
- Soldering, plastic forming and even for some kinds of material processing. Good Ventilation or Masks needed.
- Fire hazard and Air pollution in the workplace is the most important two dangers, Electricity is third.
- Use Leather Boots when working with high voltage, also silicone flexible gloves or Latex Gloves.
My Recent Lessons -
I have long stopped using power tools as the injury is more in that. I have again started using small tools. Some notes.
Wear ear muffs when Noise present in surroundings to avoid distraction. When your own tools/work create too much noise, then also ear muffs protect ears, give some allowance/filter for audio feedback .
- Cut away from you, not towards. Sharp tools and Power tools keep job at a distance. Watch for Splinters.
- Both Legs and at least one hand insulated when working with High Voltage.
- Use the right tool for the right job. Do not use cutting plair like a hammer.
- Do not use Teeth, Legs etc. as tools. Only Iron and Steel should face the Job.
Ergonomics and Safety of the Workplace
First Aid and Flame Resistant Uniforms
At Cintas you will find many Tools to make workplace safe. These are like Uniforms and Apparel, First Aid and Safety, Fire Protection and Flame Resistant Clothing.Also a Cleanroom Resources section, which is very important for Microelectronics and Precision Instrumentation.
In spite of "Prevention better than cure", a worker can get injured, more so on the field, where preventive measures may not be in place. Here is a Portable First Aid Kit that should be in Service and Commissioning Departments. A stitch in time saves nine. in reference to: "Your employees may require first aid at remote worksites, too."
Worker Safety and Health Education
This is another resource for Workers and Employers. When we educate ourselves about a Hazard, that awareness is the first step of defense. Resources like this should have a Kids Section. Just like Nasa and Fcc have. We have to catch them young, Interactive tutors and Activities will prepare them for a Safe and Sensible future. Home, Garden, Transport and School are also like a Workpace.
Kids of recent generations are degrading intellectually, it is more so in the developed countries. Education has to be emphasized, Hobby DIY activities encouraged. Hardships simulated, so they become responsible Young Citizens.
Rockefeller Jr. was brought up with such discipline, he was not allowed entertainment when he was young. His father the richest man in the US at that time.
Intrinsic Safety and Zener Barriers
Designing and Building Intrinsically safe Industrial Systems is of paramount importance as Human Safety is involved. Even in Switching Loads some contactors, relays, circuit breakers and motors are hazards as some sparking becomes inevitable.
Solid State Relays are safer but on an overload even these can pose a fire hazard if a HRC fuse is not used. Sensor measurements must employ low voltages and currents. Even cabling management and hermetically sealed enclosures may be required when volatile fluids are close by.